Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Carrot Ginger Soup



Yes, I've always loved Carrot Ginger soup but never made any for myself. I remember several years ago (as a pre-foodie) smelling an amazing aroma float through the office where I used to work. It was soup! A friend of mine had made soup, and I was shocked for two reasons. First of all, she was eating soup in a most proper way, not slurping it back, hovering over her bowl of soup with a hunched back as if it were her last meal. Instead, she was sitting upright, scooping the spoon away and then bringing it towards her and not slurping, as if she was eating with royalty, but she was just eating at her desk amongst mounds of paperwork, great ettiquette. The second reason being, she had made soup! This was shocking for me several years ago as I thought soup was most complicated. I remember saying to her in a most puzzling way, "You made soup?", and her response was, "Of course, it's really simple." At that point in my life, I had never looked at a soup recipe, never attempted making one. I know that mom used to make it and from what I recalled it would take hours. But then again, as a kid, my imagination distorted reality a bit. And here I am 5 years later, making fabulous soups that I never would have imagined. Carrot Ginger soup is definitely one of my favourites.

Carrot Ginger Soup

2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large cooking onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup coconut milk
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water
1/2 tbsp tapioca starch, mixed in half tbsp water
1 tsp salt
pepper

On medium heat, melt coconut oil and sauté onions, garlic, nutmeg and ginger until onions have softened and have started to appear translucent. Add vegetable broth, water and carrots and simmer for 18 mins. Carrots should have softened by this point. Let soup cool, blend in a blender until smooth. Transfer soup back to pot on stove, mix in applesauce, coconut milk and tapioca starch, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat when soup begins to thicken. Then serve hot.

Serves 4-5

No comments: