Friday, December 21, 2007

Beam me up BiSCOTTi


No, I'm not a trekkie. But there was a point in my life where I was hooked on Star Trek: The Next Generation. I mean who didn't love that series? I'm sure there are several. I have no idea what inspired me to write this title, guess this reveals alot about me, quirky, punny, ODD and a bit of a pop culture junkie...so I suppose I can't resist sometimes.

These past few months baking and cooking has evolved into a whole new meaning for me; a whole new world.(Ahem, yes, in case you were wondering, that song from Aladdin just popped into my head, how did I get like this?) As I was saying, the novice cook in me is really delving into this hobby. I mean just the other day, I discovered how tantalizing freshly ground black pepper truly tastes when you add it to a simple recipe, and how it can add a really interesting dynamic to a recipe (I know I've been living under a rock). It's got kick, I love kick. I'll never use pre-packaged ground pepper again. I adapted this recipe from Smitten Kitchen but I cut the ingredients in half, substituted Kamutflour, pecorino cheese, almond milk and added a little thyme...I love herbs, both fresh and dried. They turned out so well, they were good enough to gift, which I did. And after gifting I continued to make copious amounts for my humble abode.




Pecorino Black Peppercorn Biscotti

3/4 tbsp ground black peppercorns
2 cups kamut flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/8 cup pecorino cheese
1/3 cup butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup almond milk

+ 1/2 tbsp cheese and grinded peppercorn to garnish


Preheat oven to 325 degrees f.
Grind peppercorns. Whisk dry ingredients together. Cut in cold butter into dry mixture into peas sized meal. Whisk 1 1/2 egg with milk, then add to batter. Knead dough. Cut equally in half and flatten out into two, 9x4"logs. Brush remaining egg over biscotti logs and sprinkle with additional cheese and peppercorn
Bake for 25mins.
Remove from oven. Reduce heat to 300 degrees. Allow biscotti logs to cool before slicing them into portions(approx 15-20mins). Once cool, cut biscotti on a slight diagonal. Lay biscotti pieces on their sides in order to dry out the biscotti.
Bake on each side for 10mins and rotate until biscotti is dry.

Makes approximately 2 dozen

4 comments:

Steve said...

Mireille,
Just found your blog. This recipe is one I'll add and make right away. Just posted one that's similar, so it's nice to have another savory. Thanks. Love your site and have added it to my features. Steve
http://www.myfavoriteflavours.com

Flavia Pantoja said...

What a great idea!!! I will be making these ASAP !!

giuseppe said...

ma petite, we neapolitans have been making biscotti with black pepper for centuries. also a lightly leavened dough early morning (breakfast) biscuit,with flecks of black pepper, especially around easter time. it's usually ringshaped and smoothed with an egg wash. it's rather dry so you need a strong espresso, or two, to wash it down, or, perhaps, some vermouth.
giuseppe

Stephan said...

This sounds just wonderful...can't wait to try it!

Oh, and the Aladdin song popped into my head immediately too ;-)