Monday, October 8, 2007

Cranberry Apple Bread



Happy Thanksgiving. What are you thankful for? Life, love, health, food, friends, family? I'd have to say I'm thankful for all of the above. In addition to that, I'm thankful for my digital camera which gratifies me with immediate food pics that I can preview, my growing culinary skills, and my artistic abilities. Yes, I think those things cover the bases.

This is indeed the most wonderful and rich baked good I have prepared in the past little while. You know, I think this is more of a loaf than a bread but calling this baked good a "bread" instead of "loaf" sounds much more grand, doesn't it?

Cranberry Apple Bread

1 Cup Brown Rice Flour
1/2 cup Kamut Flour
3/4 cup Almond Meal
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp lemon zest
3 tbsp hemp oil
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
2 tsp ginger powder
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 cup granny smith apple diced
2/3 cup Almond milk
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, toast pumpkin seeds and 1/3 of coconut in oven for 3-4mins. Let cool, then lightly drizzle with a tablespoon of hemp oil or olive oil.

Mix all flours, Almond Meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger powder, lemon zest together. Then mix in remainder of untoasted coconut and 2/3 of the toasted Pumpkin seeds. Now mix in all wet ingredients, hemp oil, brown rice syrup, almond milk. Blend until you have a smooth consistency. Finally, add apples and cranberries.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly coat baking pan with olive oil. Pour batter into pan. Sprinkle remainder of toasted coconut and pumpkin seed mixture. Bake for 60mins or until toothpick can be cleanly removed.

Let cool before serving.

No comments: