
I'm on a soup roll, I have yet to make a miserable pot of soup or stew. Soups and stews are my pride and joy because I invent most of my soup recipes and they seem to turn out quite alright. (well, I am being modest, or perhaps not, now that I've said that) Now I hate to break it to you, but I have a sensitivity to tomatoes. I know!(gasp) When you have to do without something, it's quite amazing how you feel you need it, how much you feel like you can't live without it. I don't recall being extremely passionate about tomatoes when I had the opportunity to live it up with them. And now, suddenly that they are out of the picture, I can't live without them, I'm dying to have a hot entree with tender juicy tomatoes? Suddenly I have all these ideas of what I can cook with tomatoes. I must say, it's amazing how many soup recipes out there either require a tomatoe base, tomatoe paste, or crushed tomatoes. Why I wouldn't be surprised if there are packaged meals or canned goods out there that use tomatoe seeds and don't list it on the label...just for extra flavour you know? It's got to be in there somewhere, is it just me or am I noticing that tomatoes are in everything? (actually to be honest, wheat seems to be in almost every processed and packaged food and the second up to bat is yeast, but that's another story.) But, back to tomatoes, come on people, get creative, tomatoes are not the end all. Well, now that I've got that tomatoe rant out of my system, I'd like to introduce to you a new stew I invented which I am proud of, I doth coinith thee Hearty Sweet Potatoe Bean Stew, I have trumped thee tomatoe, unfortunately, you are not an ingredient in this dish, you didn't make the cut. On the brighter side, if you are avoiding night shade vegetables this soup is for you...there are quite a few steps involved, but this is for you.
Hearty Sweet Potatoe Bean Soup
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion(white)
4 cups vegetable broth (or homemade broth, see recipe below)
6 large leaves basil, chopped
1/2 tsp thyme dried
1/2 tsp sage dried
1/4 tsp dill dried
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sweet potatoes, chopped
1 cup Bob's Red Mill, 13 Bean Medley(soaked overnight)
1 cup almond milk
2 tbsp olive oil
Wash Beans and soak overnight in some water.
Homemade Vegetable Broth by Fresh at Home:
2 carrots, roughly chopped
3 celery sticks, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic
16 cups filtered water
1/2 cup parsley,
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
-Put carrots, celery, onion, and garlic on a baking sheet and pour approx 1/4 cup water over vegetables
-Roast at 400 for approx 20mins or until vegetables start to brown at the edges
-Remove vegetables from the baking sheet and place in a large pot. Add the remaining water, parsley and black peppercorns
-Bring to a boil orver high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 2hrs.
-Strain stock and chill
Makes 8 cups
*Keeps well in the fridge for 1 week or it can be frozen.
Making the soup:
Bring 3 cups water to a rolling boil, then toss in Sweet Potatoes. Reduce stove to medium heat and cook for 12-15 mins, or until sweet potatoe has softened, yet still slightly firm. Drain water, mash potatoes and set aside.
Saute celery, onion, and garlic for approx 5-6 mins in 2 tbsp olive oil, until onion appears translucent and celery begins to slightly soften. Mix in thyme, sage and dill. Add vegetable stock and pre-soaked beans, crushed sweet potatoes, salt and pepper. Keep heat on low and simmer for roughly 2 1/2hrs. Following that, blend in almond milk.
Serves 4.
Monday, January 7, 2008
I (heart) Hearty Stews sans tomates
Posted by Mireille
Labels: Dinner, Lunch, Soups/Stews, Vegan: Savory
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Just got linked to your blog...seems like we share some similar food philosophy. I also love baking with alternative flours & sweeteners, unfortunately my boyfriend also won't eat nuts (says they get oxidized with high heat in baked goods) - I agree, but it's hard to make delicious baked goods egg-free, nut-free & wheat-free, plus free from processed flours & sugars! Wow, what a mouth full! Will be visiting your blog often.
Post a Comment