Monday, November 19, 2007

When the Kale and I became friends.



I'm always trying to find ways of incorporating leafy greens into my dishes. The challenge is to incorporate them so that they don't taste bland and look appealing. I have to be honest with you, the first time I met face to face with Kale was 4 years ago. I had signed up to have an organic food basket delivered to my door every other week. The contents of each basket were seasonal and were never the same each week. One week I had Kale in my basket. I had no idea what to do with it. Strangely enough, I never thought to look up a kale recipe on the web. I tried to steam it, but it was too rough and of course,I'm completely lost without a recipe. So the kale tasted bland, bland, bland. I never revisted kale until a year ago when my Naturopath suggested that the more of this leafy green I incorporate into my diet the better. Begrudgingly I tried, but in the back of my mind, I remembered how horrible I thought kale tasted 4 years ago. A month ago I stumbled across this recipe by Russell James. Since I couldn't find any chipotles I roasted some Jalapeno's in my oven instead. This salad was fantastic and very very filling, but I'm still dying to know how it would taste with chipotles. I now have a new found love for kale. Kale and I are good friends now.

No comments: